LG’s Marketing Touts Advantages of OLED Lighting
July 10, 2017
LG Display Marketing Communications Specialist’ Chung Min Soo (Michael) described the benefits of OLED lighting as part of LG’s campaign to begin educating the market on OLEDs advantages in the lighting market. He made five points:
1. Natural Light -- Compared to other light sources, OLED light has a spectral power distribution closest to natural sunlight. The high Color Rendering Index (CRI) of LG’s OLED light provides comfort and a luxurious atmosphere to places where natural light is unavailable. Moreover, OLED light is an RGB light source, which means that objects illuminated by OLED light panels appear highly saturated over all primary colors and therefore appear very natural as if illuminated by sunlight. On the other hand, white LEDs only use blue and yellow, which results in red objects appearing more artificial. A lot of research into human physiology has identified that a high amount of blue light in artificial light sources has negative effect on the human metabolism. The blue light that LG OLED light emits is very close to sunlight without the peak, which can result in the so-called blue light hazard. Additionally, with flexible LG OLED light panels, it is possible to decorate your workspace or make a reading lamp with unique and stylish designs.
Figure 1: Sunlight vs. OLED Color Distribution
2. LG OLED Light produces warm, pleasant light for your eyes -- One of the most significant characteristics of OLED light is the non-glare. Unlike other light sources, OLED light panels can be looked at directly without glare or causing harm to the eyes. This characteristic makes it possible for these panels to be incorporated into living spaces and has the potential to revolutionize the way artificial lighting is used.
3. Energy Savings -- As OLED light consumes very little energy, it has great potential to reduce consumption and therefore reduce electricity bills. Compared to traditional reading lamps with a 40W bulbs, OLED light reading lamps have a consumption of 4.25W, offering nearly 90% energy savings. This conservation of energy ultimately reduces electricity costs.
4. Flexible designs with flexible and heatless LG OLED light panels -- Thin, lightweight, and heatless flexible OLED light panels create endless design possibilities that have never been seen before. Moreover, the naturally diffused light allows open use of the light source, which is ideal for applications with a minimum distance between the light source and the observer. OLED light panels also emit little heat, less than 35°C, which allows users to handle them safely and conveniently. This special characteristic also allows the panels to be used together with sensitive materials such as wood or fabric.
5. Perfect Light without dark corners -- OLED light panels are surface light emitters, which offer even light distribution. Therefore, these panels eliminate the shading effect caused by point sources like LEDs. With these thin, lightweight, and heatless characteristics, LG OLED light is the perfect backlight illumination for signs and many other objects.
Michael wrote LG, before each mention of OLEDs and we deleted the LG, assuming the advantage would accrue to any OLED light panel.
Figure 2: OLED Panel Showing Lack of Corner Shading